Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, 2 August 2016

Arts & Humanities: Genealogy: “Question: I want to know more about my heritage but I know nothing about my ancestors. All I know is the date my grandma died. How can I learn more?” plus 1 more

Arts & Humanities: Genealogy: “Question: I want to know more about my heritage but I know nothing about my ancestors. All I know is the date my grandma died. How can I learn more?” plus 1 more


Question: I want to know more about my heritage but I know nothing about my ancestors. All I know is the date my grandma died. How can I learn more?

Posted: 02 Aug 2016 01:46 PM PDT

Start with her obituary, if she had one. It should be available for free in the public library of her hometown. One of your aunts or uncles may have a copy. With luck it will list her parents, children and siblings; her birthplace and date.

Work from there. Ask your parents about THEIR grandparents; names, birth date and place, marriage date and place, death date and place.

Work backward, one generation at a time, citing sources.

Most of us use a purpose-built genealogy program. For a limited time you can get Roots Magic, V6, on a CD from Amazon for $9.95 plus shipping. They basically donated them when they came out with V7, instead of carting them to the landfill.

Question: I have a profile on ancestry.com and one of the hints on my grandfather says he was from Gustizyn, Poland ?

Posted: 01 Aug 2016 11:58 PM PDT

If you're Jewish then he likely lived in a shtetl, and most of those were gone by around 1915. If you're not Jewish there was a lot of tumult during your grandfather's time as the Russian Empire was slowly dissolving, and Poland was heading towards independence. When Poland became independent a lot of changes were made to place names.

It's also possible that you have the spelling wrong.

Maybe this link can help you:

http://www.nancy.polishsite.us/art25jaga...

0 comments:

Post a Comment